|Goleta Depot at Stowe House|
The Goleta Depot
The Goleta Depot was built in 1901 by the Southern Pacific Railroad Co. Ending the days of the Stagecoach and the days of Dusty Santa Barbara. It was also when the long awaited, completion of S.P.'s Coast Line was finished. Now San Francisco and Los Angeles were finally completed.
Like the many other of these two-story, wood-frame depot stations that once were scattered throughout the nation, The Goleta Depot served both the railroad and the local community with the transport of goods from Asphalt to Lemon's and flowers to passengers and livestock.
Finally, in October of 1973, Goleta Depot was closed and boarded-up 8 years after the elimination of the local passenger trains had reduced the station's workload to just train orders and freight.
Thanks to The effort of many local organizations,The Goleta Depot was Saved and moved to it's present location at the Stowe house on Los Carneros Road. Read the FULL Story Here!